Skip to main content

I Asked God...





Happy New Year! This Christmas was one of the best I can remember in years. It is my promise to you that I'll blog more this year. Even if it is to share the tough pain days as well as the joyous times. In the last few months I have avoided writing because I wanted to remain upbeat and positive in my writings. Thus, leaving a period of time that you didn't hear from me during the bad days. I hope that sharing the good and the bad days with you will help someone else to see the light at the end of the tunnel. If nothing else, to know they are not alone in their painful struggles. Therefore, on this rainy day, I share the following post.

Over the years, the below poem has remained one of my all time favorites. I hope it will bless you as much as it has me. I first saw this back around 1987. It brought me to tears and still moves me deeply to this day. You see, the reason I can remember the approximate date I first saw it is because I bought it as a gift for my father. He was dying of cancer and I thought he might like it. Needless to say, he was as moved as I was upon reading it. After his passing in April of 1987, my mother gave it back to me as a gift. Only a couple of years after this I began having chronic pain. Not knowing what the cause of my debilitating pain was at the time, I later found out it was due to Fibromyalgia. Later to have more pain added to the fibromyalgia due to multiple spine issues. This poem was a gentle reminder of some of the most "important" things in my life. We may not know the reasons why we suffer but we can rest assured there is a mighty God that does have the answers. Oh, what sweet assurance I feel knowing I am His and He is mine. I hope it will bless others as much as it has me:

Prayer of an Unknown Confederate Soldier, aka The Creed for the Disabled

I asked God for strength that I might achieve.
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy.
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.


Oddly enough, this also goes by "The Creed for the Disabled", thanks to Dr. Howard Rusk:
Adlai Stevenson sent a prayer as his Christmas card after he was defeated by Eisenhower. One of the people who received the Christmas card was the famed Dr. Howard Rusk, founder of the "Rusk Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine" in New York City. Rusk had the prayer, which was then known as "The Prayer of an Unknown Confederate Soldier," placed in bronze and entitled it "A Creed for the Disabled." This creed has supposedly been in the lobby of the Rusk Institute for over thirty years.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She Did What??

Last week I spotted a beautiful groundhog out in my driveway.  I grabbed the camera and upon taking the pictures, I noticed this was obviously a very "pregnant" groundhog! So you're thinking, okay, why is this such a big deal right?

Well, a few days later I found where her home was located.  She has dug quite a nice hole going under my home.  There's a door used to access underneith my mobile home that's right under the deck.  So I began to ask around to find a "humane" trap to catch her.  Well, tomorrow my son was going to bring the trap out.  Too late!!!  She reemerged from her comfy home yesterday morning to roam around. Guess what?  Yep, you've got it!  She's a lot smaller and has obviously had her babies now!!
Now look a little bit closer.....

and now as she stands up...

Notice the evidence of nursing babies? LOL So now she notices the cat in the window.  She figures out she's safe and begins to taunt the cat. In the previous pics, wh…

My Latest Creation "Doves In Flight" Doily

I thoroughly enjoyed crocheting this doily "Doves In Flight".  This doily is approximately 23 in. in diameter.  It's from the Leisure Arts booklet entitled "Touched By Nature".  The doilies are by Delsie Rhoades.  It's seldom you find a booklet where you love each and every doily presented.  I'm looking forward to making every single one of these.  (I'm not connected with Leisure Arts nor Delsie Rhoades.... just a very happy customer).

I gave this doily to my beautiful, loving Mother.

Wonderful Group for Fibro on Facebook

Hello friends, I haven't written in awhile, thanks to the lovely pain that's been trying to get the best of me.  But, thank you Lord, I'm still here and have been blessed with one of the most enjoyable groups I've ever found for Fibromyalgia.  It's called Fellow Travelers on Facebook.  It's so nice to find a group of individuals that can relate to exactly what we face daily.  If you're looking for a wealth of info and a world of good conversation check them out!!